Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ship and South Islands


Again, it as been a while since I blogged, so I will start with last wednesday. It was suppose to be our first port but the wind was so bad, the captain decided not to port and so we had a sea day (I forgot what that island was called). The next day we got up and went to mystery island. The first thing I did was jump into the ocean and swam straight out. A funny thing that happened, I was swimming way out, a passenger yelled out shark to me and I thought right away she was kidding. Then I looked around and realized that I was the only one out there and then I kind of freaked. She then yelled, she was kidding as I was swimming as fast as I could to shore. We all laughed at that, but then I also thought, that is probably not something one should kid about. I then took a walk around the whole island and investigated the new place. There is a little village of people that lives a completely different life style than anything I have ever seen. They have sweet looking huts and most of them try to sell stuff to everyone. I have some videos and pictures.
A typical day for the musicians starts with port in the morning. The passengers get off first then the crew can if they want to or as long they don't have IPM. You get off the ship sometimes by a boat that takes you to shore from the ship or sometimes the ship can dock. You then go do what ever you want to do until about 3or 4pm. Tomorrow I have my first IPM so I will not be able to get off the ship. IPM is something that everyone takes turns doing which is just not porting and staying on the ship. Just incase something would happen, the IPM crew needs to be able to help those that are on board. So tomorrow monday the 22 of august I will be doing the IPM and sun bathing by the pool or being productive (hopefully) with new tunes, laundry ..ect.
Last night which was saturday night, there was a geek party which was fun. Before that the port was Wala and I went snorkeling in the ocean for the first time and that just stole my heart. It was so fun.
Today(the 23rd) we ported at Luganville. We had a crew drill in the morning which was not to fun but the island was amazing. I learned a lot at this port. Here the United States had military bases during WWII. After the World War, there was a lot of military ships, automobiles, tanks ect, that the US did not know what do with. So instead of shipping it all back to the States, they decided to sink it all at the bottom of the ocean. This was a way to save money I guess because it would have costed more to ship it all back to the States. With time, the military stuff started to get washed near shore and now it is a hot spot for snorkeling and diving. It was so crazy seeing all of this stuff at the bottom of the ocean. I also swam with some pretty big fish which I loved as well. Today Matt and I had a set out side at the Oasis bar in the Aft(back of ship). We decided to not plug in to a PA and just walk around and sing to the passengers. That was fun because the wind was blowing and we were able to walk around and just play. Todays theme was country night and I dont have that many country tunes but it was fun. The House band (Hit list) played after us and a lot of passengers and some of us crew line danced it up a bit. After a little of that I walked over to the Jazz house band and listened to them for a bit. An asian lady asked me to dance and she taught me the FoxTrot. That was funny and fun! So now I am going to bed and going to do my IPM tomorrow. The waves are crazy big right now out side which is pretty crazy to see. Goodnight ttys  

No comments:

Post a Comment