Wednesday, August 17, 2011

first time on a ship


Hello, finally! Im sorry its been so long since my last post. Its been crazy getting to understand how everything works around here as well as getting over the jet-leg. The last posting was at my hotel room before we boarded the ship and now its already wednesday morning at 2:30 am. Let me start from my hotel room.
Last sunday, Matt and I jumped on a train and went into Sydney. We walked around, took a ferry ride, shopped and got beers at different pubs. We were going to go back to the hotel by 7 or 8pm so we could eat our free meal, but that did not happen. At one of the pubs, we met some locals and ended up hitting up a sunday night in sydney. It was pretty crazy! The two gentlemen (Sam and Hysen) were so cool! Everyone has such interesting accents which I love hearing. We stayed out till about 11pm... :)
Monday morning came. We packed up our equipment and luggage and brought our stuff to the lobby and waited for our coach bus to come. There were many other P and O workers staying at the hotel with us all who have many different jobs. Some were mechanics, first mate, cleaners, shoppys and more. I quickly grabbed my free breakfast and shoveled food down my throat because the bus then came.
We got on the bus and drove to the ship, which was about an hour away. When I saw this massive ship Matt and I both were in so much shock. It was so unreal! Everything from then on was and still is such a fairytale feeling. When we finally went through “customs” we were shown to our room. Matt and I thought we were going to have the smallest room ever with no space and we were blown away. It was much bigger than we were expecting. I took the top bunk so Matt wouldn’t hurt himself trying to get up and down all the time. Lindsey who is so cool and is one of my bosses, showed us around the ship and helped us start to learn the lingo of “ship talk. There are 15 decks on this boat.. and I will talk about those later.
This week so far we have been going through a few hours of training every day, learning about the boat, safety, and what to do in certain situations. It was really rough for me the first few days at sea because of the jet leg, but now I'm pretty sure i'm over it.
Our job is to play three, 45 min sets and it has been so fun!! It could not be any better! Our first day we played in the atrium from I think 6:30 till 9:30 and it went great. The next day we played from 5:30 till 8:30 in the connections bar and it was wild. We had people chanting our name after and yelling for an encore, so we gave them another. Earlier today was also so fun. It was the busiest yet with just an unbelievable audience. We've been passing the tambourine and shaker out to the audience, dancing and getting them involved by bringing others up on stage..
At night, lots of people (the crew) go to the crew bar. SOOO FUN! Passengers pay 7.50 for coronas and we pay in the crew bar 1.50 for coronas. There are themes sometime and last night was indian independence day so there was a party for them which we all went to. Every night we pretty much hang out there at some point.
Matt and I are just blown away by everything. We get a few nice pluses which we are thankful for, the people are great as well as the food. Yesterday was our first time to see sunlight and go out side and it was crazy seeing nothing but the ocean. We've been at sea for two full days now and in 7 hours we will be porting at the first island (I forgot what it was called). I was told that it is mainly a beach island where have the locals clime a tree and pick you a fresh coconut and prepare it for you. The plan is to go snorkeling with some dancers and musicians by 10am. I will try to start taking pictures soon and post them on face book. Goodnight ttys <3

No comments:

Post a Comment