Saturday, September 10, 2011

Noumea, Sea days, Sydney and back to sea

In the evening of September 5th( I think) The crew bar had a graffiti party. The crew club covered the bar with sticky plastic so there wouldn't be a big mess and so everyone could graffiti it. We also wrote on each others cloths and what not. It was goofy and fun!


Port Noumea- September 6th
Today we had to get up before 9am for a safety drill which lasted over two hours. We went through the procedure of going to our muster station and following the drill making it to our life boats. It was kind of a pain in the butt, but at the same time it was very interesting. It was the first time I actually went through the whole procedure as to what would happen if we would abandon ship. Each cruise we normally do 2 drills; one for the passengers/crew and one for just the crew.

After the drill Matt and I got off the ship in Noumea, which is a French island. Hardly anyone there can speak english which was an eye opener. I tried to ask people questions and I was able to find a few locals that could speak a little english. At one point I walked into a coffee/sandwich joint an said hello. Two girls behind the counter just bursted out laughing. I then looked over and saw an older man at a table with his computer and he said hello. Then I looked back at the girls and I said, “was it something I said” they just kept laughing while the man was just chilling engaged in his computer. I still don’t know whether they were laughing because of what I said, because of the way I looked or maybe both. After walking around for a bit we went closer to the ship and went to a food court that was right on the sea. There was a beautiful view of little island straight out with sweet cliffs. We then found some passengers and kicked it with them for a bit before we got back on the ship. It was very interesting trying to read signs and communicate in a place that only uses french. I never been to a place where english was not a common language and now I know what it feels like for those who go to places and don't know the language. I think I should probably start learning to speak some other foreign languages.

After that port we had two full sea days back to Sydney where we dropped off our second cruise and loaded the my third. Matt and I woke up early with Richard (who is the keyboard player in Hitlist) and ate breakfast and went shopping in Sydney. The last cruise (second cruise) as well as this one (third cruise), Sandy (who is our main boss which is also from the States)(sorry for all these parenthesizes) has been having us play one early set to kick off the sail away show. Its cool, but it makes us have to be back on the ship earlier than everyone else. So we got pretty much all of our shopping done. I bought some essentials, two dress shirts and a tie. The shirts I bought were listed at a high price, but the lady’s helping us gave me a sweet price. I had to sing to her to get pretty much half off and yeah it happened. They were so cool! I spent 120 dollars on cloths and 70 dollars on essentials which was all the money I brought, thank God!

Here I am now on our second sea day with my third cruise. So far the passengers are great and things are going great. Just got done having a movie night back stage in the Marque with Jenny, Arran , Sarah, Sean, Simon, Pipa and Sophie; whom are the singer dancers for the ship. This was a nice change from hanging in the bar or rooms at night.  More movie nights are needed.  I forgot what the movie was called, but it was about some girl who had a twin brother at birth and never new until bad things started happening. A demon or bad spirit started haunting her. It killed a bunch of her friends as well as her mother when she was young. It was a little creepy especially at the end when they did an exorcism on her.

We have one more sea day until we port at Vila. I am not sure what I will do in Vila because the last time I was there, I wanted to surf and did not get to because of the tide. The other time I was there instead of surfing I went to the Cascade waterfalls which was awesome. It is now after 3am on September the 11th and I should hit the hay. Goodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment